Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Publisher's view. (Editorial): (Dr Michael Bowers): Radley Balko reports that the ethics complaint against Dr. Michael Bowers - battler against flawed bite mark "science" - has been dismissed. Bravo! HL.


PUBLISHER'S View (Editorial);  A recent post focussed on an ugly attack  by The American Board of Forensic Odontology against the professional integrity of  Dr. Michael Bowers, who authors an excellent Blog "Forensics in Focus"   on a variety of  forensic related  topics - including the lack of a scientific basis of  so-called bitemark  matching expert evidence. There's good news. Radley Balko has posted the following note on his Washington Post Blog "The Watch." "Just in: The AAFS (American Academy of Forensic Sciences) board of directors has dismissed  the ethics complaint against that I mentioned here: Dr. Bowers writes on his site: "Much thanks to the AAFS executive Board of Directors. “I am pleased that the AAFS Board of Directors looked very carefully at what was presented and decided not to pursue this matter against me any further.  I look forward to continuing my work as an forensic expert witness and a Fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.” Doctor Bowers goes on to say: "The defense costs to achieve this finding of innocence approached $100,000. So, this boils down to another failed attempt to muzzle forensic reform. I hope this never happens to anyone else. Thanks to all my friends who supported me and my family through this process. Plus an incredible thank you to the NY Innocence Project and the Chicago-based office of Jenner and Block who VERY generously represented me. Jenner and Block attorneys: Partner Gabriel Fuentes and Ramon Villapondo. IP attorney, Chris Fabricant: Director of its Strategic Litigation unit."  I am delighted to hear the good news and wish Dr. Bowers continuing success  in his fight for forensic reform. Bravo!