Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Doctor And The Judge: Part Three: Fact, Fantasy or Outright Lie?

In recent postings I examined the question whether Dr. Smith's oft-repeated account of two detailed conversations with Judge Patrick Dunn about the Amber case - one on an airplane and one at a judge's conference years later - was fact or fantasy.

To this Bloggist it now appears to be an outright lie.

(See The Doctor and the Judge: Part One and Part Two);

During these alleged conversations (one supposedly made during the course of the trial) Dunn allegedly praised Dr. Smith his colleagues on the Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect Team at the Hospital For Sick Children in Toronto for their scientific evidence at the babysitter's trial and declared that in his view, the babysitter, whom he had acquitted, was actually "guilty as sin";

(Dunn had rejected their evidence in the judgment he delivered when acquitting the babysitter of manslaughter);

But yesterday Smith told Commission Counsel Linda Rothstein that it was not necessary to bring Judge Dunn to testify because he did not challenge Dunn's a sworn affidavit denying that these conversations had occurred.

Here is the exchange:

"MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: And you were asked by Commission Counsel whether it was necessary to call Justice Dunn as a witness to speak to any of the facts
set out in his affidavit. You understood that, did you not --

DR. CHARLES SMITH: I understood --

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: -- Dr. Smith?

DR. CHARLES SMITH: -- that was a possibility, yes.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: And your counsel told the Inquiry that you did not intend to dispute any of the facts set out in Justice Dunn's affidavit and therefore, it was not necessary for the Commission to call Justice Dunn to give evidence and be cross-examined. True?

DR. CHARLES SMITH: That's correct."


The implications of this implied admission are enormous.

First, it means that he unabashedly slandered Judge Dunn - by stating Dunn had discussed the case with him during the trial - to the numerous people he recounted the story to over the years colleagues at the Hospital For Sick Children and senior officials of the Ontario Chief Coroner's Office.

Secondly, it means he mislead the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario - to whom he gave a written account of the story in response to a complaint launched by the babysitter's parents.

To put it bluntly, he lied to his governing body.

(This has serious implications because Dr. Smith is still a member of the College - and subject to its jurisdiction - and because he pleaded guilty in 2005 to misleading the Saskatchewan College of Physicians and Surgeons on his application for temporary membership).

Here is a relevant portion of yesterday's testimony:

"Ms. Rothstein: In the middle of the first paragraph, you say: "In spite of several days of vigorous cross-examination by the defence counsel for SM, Mr. Renault, my opinion did not waiver." You then say:"Furthermore, on two (2) occasions during my week of testimony, the judge, Patrick Dunn, discussed my evidence "Two (2) occasions".Those words were not true, were they, Dr. Smith?

DR. CHARLES SMITH: No. I -- I erred -- I erred in that.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: And you knew they were not true when you wrote them, sir.

(BRIEF PAUSE)

DR. CHARLES SMITH: I'm not sure just -- just what my thinking was then. I don't recall. But they are wrong, and -- and I'm very sorry for that.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: Discussed my evidence with me at length." Those words are completely untrue, are they not?

DR. CHARLES SMITH: That's wrong. That's -- that's what I believed, but that is -- it is not true, and I acknowledge that.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: Doctor, you knew that wasn't true when you wrote that.

DR. CHARLES SMITH: No. No. When I got off the aircraft, if you had asked me about my flight, or would have -- what I would have told you because that was
my -- that was my understanding or my reaction.


MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: He repeatedly indicated to me that he believed SM to be guilty."

DR. CHARLES SMITH: That's -- I believe I heard what I wanted to hear on that -- he -- based on his complimentary statements about -- about the witnesses. And I now realize that that was, perhaps, better described as pleasantries in his conversation, so. Though -- though that was my interpretation, and I believe I came to believe my interpretation, I recognize that that is wrong, and I -- nd I'm terribly, terribly embarrassed by it."


Thirdly, and perhaps most serious, Smith repeated this admitted lie under oath in court and has therefore exposed himself to a prosecution for perjury.

He repeated the lie under at a preliminary hearing in 1994 when being questioned by the defence lawyer as to his scathing criticism of the pathologist who conducted the autopsy;

Here is the relevant evidence from yesterday's session of the Inquiry:

"MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: (Reading from transcript of preliminary hearing):
Q: But people have said that about
you. They've alleged you've done
shoddy work, too.
A: That's absolutely true.
Q: Judges have said that about you.
You've done shoddy work.
A: One (1) judge. I'm told by you,
one (1) judge wrote that in his


submission. I don't know. I don't
know what he wrote. That's Judge Dunn,
who prior to the -- hearing the defence
experts, in fact, told me on more than
one (1) occasion -- private
conversations -- how hasty he was with
the work I had done and others had
done, at the hospital."

(End of preliminary hearing testimony - back to yesterday's evidence):

Dr. Smith, you did know what Justice Dunn had said about you because you had read his reasons for a decision, had you not?

DR. CHARLES SMITH: Yes. By that time I would have, yes. Yes.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: You also knew perfectly well that Justice Dunn had never said on more than one (1) private occasion how hasty he was with the work that you or others had done at the hospital.

DR. CHARLES SMITH: That -- that's correct. I don't -- I don't remember this remark, or this statement about --

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: Your testimony was untrue, sir.

DR. CHARLES SMITH: It was wrong.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: It was untrue, sir.

DR. CHARLES SMITH: Yes. It's a mistake, and I was wrong. Yes.

MS. LINDA ROTHSTEIN: You were under oath, Dr. Smith.

DR. CHARLES SMITH: And -- and I understand that, and -- and I made a mistake. I'm not sure why I made that mistake, but I made a mistake, and
it was wrong."


Why did Dr. Smith make up this elaborate lie?

Commission Counsel Rothstein asked Smith if he had persuaded himself that Dunn had made the comments because he felt the Dunn's decision had the power to unfairly expose you to criticism.

Rothstein also wondered if, as the years went on, he became concerned that the case would cast a shadow over his work;

But Smith appeared reluctant to articulate a motive for perjury out of his own lips, as he repeatedly conceded nothing more than being, "embarrassed".

This humble Bloggist is more interested in what the lies say about Dr. Smith than in whether he can be thrown out of the medical profession or prosecuted for perjury.

There's lots of time for that. (And it is not the purpose of the public inquiry to assign blame);

At the outset, he (Smith) did not hesitate to hesitate to slander a good judge who was in no position to defend himself.

Good, honourable people don't do that.

Especially good Christians who are supposed to cherish the truth.

He did not hesitate to mislead the governing body of his own profession - as he had done in Saskatchewan.

There is pattern here.

Doctors are supposed to be open and direct with the College because the College has been given the awesome responsibility of regulating the medical profession for the protection of the public.

If he is willing to mislead his own profession, why will hesitate to mislead the courts, the police or any other institution of government?

His defence - that this was not a lie - it was merely what he wanted to hear - is the ultimate evasion of personal responsibility.

If indeed, it was all a fantasy - something Dr. Smith wove together in his mind because he wanted it to be that way - we are then faced with serious concerns about Dr. Smith's mental health and sense of reality.

Moreover, if he will lie under oath in a criminal case where someone is charged with murdering a child, why wouldn't he lie under oath in cases where parents or caregivers are charged with murdering children in order to help the Crown win the case?

After all, he testified that he tended to see himself as a member of the prosecution team who was committed to helping the Crown win.

To think that this man was once the revered Dr. Charles Smith who for many years was worshipped throughout the world of forensic world - and his word was treated like gold in the courts.

Dr. Charles Randal Smith.

A very ugly man.

A note to Janet: Thank you for pointing out that I had referred to the babysitter as Amber - which, of course, is the name of the deceased child. It's not a defence, but occasionally I find it difficult to keep identities straight when publication bans apply to the story - as is the case here. I appreciate your prompt response. Responses like this help insure the accuracy of this Blog. Thanks again, Harold;

Harold Levy...hlevy15@gmail.com;